The Fairgrounds Ideal Home SHow is again teaming up with the Triangle's most talented furniture artists for the Habitat for Humanity Furniture Flip Auction. This feature showcases pre-loved furniture pieces that have been upcycled into swoon-worthy décor fit for a second chance at love.Guests can bid on these one-of-a-kind upcycled pieces, with all proceeds to benefit Habitat for Humanity of Wake County. Look for this Pinterest-worthy furniture gallery in the Jim Graham Building.
If you’re inspired to try your hand at flipping a piece of furniture you found at a ReStore, thrift store or garage sale, check out these tips from ReStore:
Checklist for selecting furniture for a DIY upcycle project
● Is the furniture piece solid?
● Does it need any reinforcement?
● Is it the right size for the area you have available in your home?
● Does the piece feature dovetail joints, which are generally the strongest wood joints?
● What are the estimated costs of improvements?
● Is your skill level up to the task?
Now that we’ve factored in what to look for in a furniture find, here’s what to do after you get it home.
Steps for completing your next DIY furniture makeover
● Head back to Pinterest to get redesign ideas specific to the piece you’ve chosen.
● Bring out the drill, saw, nails, staple gun – whatever’s in your arsenal.
● Strip down the piece, removing trim or features you don’t want.
● Build up the features you do want: add a shelf, permanently remove doors, swap out legs – anything that fits your new vision for the piece.
● Reinforce any features that need regluing or tacking.
● Sand and prime, if necessary.
● Consider upgrading the hardware. This little effort can provide a lot of return.
● If you are using chalk paint (like in our example below) or want to give surfaces extra protection, finish with a water-based polyurethane.
For more information on the Southern Ideal Home Show check out our website. Don't have your tickets yet? Buy online and SAVE $2!
APRIL 5-7, 2019
NORTH CAROLINA STATE FAIRGROUNDS